Who is Joe Cross you ask? In many ways Joe is (was) a typical person. Like many Americans and also Australians (where Joe is from) he worked too hard, played too hard, and ate too much. After years of this self abuse Joe tipped the scales at over 300 lbs. The extra weight caused health problems for which he took medication and he was at risk for a heart attack.
With a flash of inspiration Joe realized he needed to change his routine in order to change his life. “I felt like I needed to give my body the energy it needed to perform the function of self-repair. I thought, ‘If I just get out of the way, it will heal itself,’ ” .
Joe enlisted the help of Dr. Joel Fuhrman in America and began a 60 day juice fast. He traveled across the country, with a juicer in the back of his car, to share his new found love of juice and talk with people about their lifestyle habits and hopes for the future. The inspirational journey was documented in the film Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.
Remarkably Joe lost 82 lbs on his juice fast and helped many others to do the same. It has created such a buzz that people are wanting to know how to start their own juice fast like Joe.
Tips for a 60 day juice fast
1. If you are on any medications or have any health problems, have a medical professional monitor your progress.
2. Start out with a small goal, say 10 days. This makes the task more manageable mentally and makes it easier to chart daily progress. Not everyone needs to fast for a full 60 days. As in #1, a medical professional can help you determine what is right for you.
3. Though it would appear in the film that Joe just woke up one morning and started juicing, it is best to prepare mentally and physically for at least a week prior to the cleanse. You can read about my preparation process here.
4. Easy does it. This is not the time to multi task. Take a few days off or lighten your work and responsibilities. Your body will be hyper focused on cleansing during this period, so relax and let your body work it’s magic. Light stretching or walking is all you need to do to assist.
5. Continue drinking water. Water has an important function of flushing out the toxins and waste. You still need to drink plenty of water.
6. If you experience any adverse effects besides light headache and fatigue in the first few days, consult a professional.
7. Congratulate yourself on ANY progress made!
Happy Juicing! BONUS! Here’s the recipe for Joe’s Mean Green Juice!
Get exclusive access to my library of healthy happy resources
Free workbooks, recipes, checklists & more to help you tap into your inner radiance!